October 18, 2013

FHTE Day 7: A Nostalgic Diversion - Some thoughts about James Jones, writing and years gone by


After nearly a week in London, attending five previews of From Here To Eternity - The Musical and noting the changes and progression as it heads for the locked script tomorrow, I'm about written out. Last night's show looks like the down-to-the wire, slam-dunk version that future theatre-going audiences will see. The troops are sharp-looking soldiers, the prostitutes are fitting-looking hookers and the dancing and music are pleasing to the eyes and ears. The post-performance critique was brief, quiet, low key and dealt mostly with technical areas. But there is still a rehearsal this afternoon. More fine tuning.
Besides the press call and interviews, the publicity is in full swing. A couple of nights ago, everyone coming through the theatre doors had a lei placed around their neck by women in flowery Hawaiian dresses. On the street yesterday, composer Stuart Brayson said he saw a group led by a young man in an Army uniform, dressed like Robert E. Lee Prewitt and strumming a guitar, surrounded by several young women in Hawaiian-looking dresses with leis around their necks, promoting the show. Brayson asked the man if he could actually play the guitar. When the young man answered, he asked why. "I just wondered," Brayson said he replied. "I wrote the music."That's about it for the musical today.I first read From Here To Eternity when I was about 12 years old, a year or two before I saw the movie at the old Home Theater in Oblong, Illinois. Or, tried to read it. I won't pretend that I understood all it had to say about Army life and what the men who serve experienced. But I had listened to my cousin Bruce, who had landed on Omaha Beach and fought on through Europe, including the Battle of the Bulge, and Ben Correll, who had fought in battle of Iwo Jima, and others who had read the book. Ben kept a basket of books and magazines in his barbershop that his customers took from to read and which everybody contributed to, to kept full for others to share. My father, who read western books like I ate ice cream, had read the book, too, and said it wasn't something I should be reading. But it probably wasn't until high school that I was able to more fully understand what Jones was saying. There, too, I had to surreptitiously bring the book to school and place between the pages of a massive and dry history text to read so some overzealous teacher wouldn't grab it and throw it away — or keep to read themselves, as I suspected they did with the books they confiscated from us when we were caught with a paperback. But I got the message, and later experienced much of what Jones was saying about life in the military during my three years in the Marine Corps, half of the time overseas. Then in 1977, after taking a year's leave from classroom teaching, backpacking and hitchhiking around the United States, crisscrossing it by car and spending time on each coast, I landed in Robinson, Illinois, Jones' hometown, near my own Bellair hamlet,  for a respite from my travels. Jones had just died, and Robinson Daily News Publisher Larry Lewis offered me the opportunity to write a review of Jones' war trilogy, which include The Thin Red Line and Whistle. I read Eternity and the other two, wrote the review and started writing a daily column for the paper.
I no longer write more than a sporadic column in "The News-Gazette" in Chanpaign-Urbana, Illinois, write for the James Jones Journal, edit and write a column for Spearhead, the publication of the Fifth Marine Division Association and edit Black Sands for the Iwo Jima Association of America. I miss being in the paper, though. Which is why I agreed to write this blog series when my daughter Jessica prodded me to write it while I'm in London for the previews and premiere of the musical — the blog pays only slightly less than all the other writing I'm doing at present. But then with a blog, you post when you want, what you want and how you want. Something to say for that.
To get the blog (http://rayelliott23.blogspot.com/) started, Jessica is posting it while she's going to school and getting ready to come to London for the premiere, and I've sent it out to a number of people whom I thought might be interested in not only the musical but the revival, as it were, of James Jones and his work. And in the interest of full disclosure, I've also hoped to inspire some of you to enroll with the American Council of International Study Feb.24-March 4 "Showtime" tour to see this musical and two other plays — I've had suggestions for the two musicals, Billy Ellliot and The Book of Mormon, and will check with ACIS representatives about them.
It seems to be working well. Jessica said the blog has had almost 6000 hits when she checked awhile after she started posting — it was set up awhile back but was inactive until the first of the week. So that amazing number is not just from this week, although Jessica pointed out to me that there was a tremendous spike recently. And comments I've received have been encouraging:
"Very cool, Ray! Thanks for including me in all this." "Sounds awesome! Would love to see it." "You requested 'input' regarding the additional musical being considered for the tour. I'd really like to see The Book of Mormon, if that would be possible. If that is not an option, I'd prefer Billy Elliot over The War Horse. Your daily blogs give an idea of what goes on 'behind the scenes' in producing a theaterical play. It will be exciting to see the reviews when From Here to Eternity - The Musical opens next week." "On top of my preference for Billy Elliot, I would think ONE 'war' show would be enough. Thrilled for you and this experience.  : )." "As the ol’ country saying goes, 'You’re a Pistol!'  (Enjoying your observations very much.)." "Wish I could go, unfortunately, my butt is still workin’ like a fool.  Thanks for thinking of me though..."  "Blog is great! Fantastic, Ray." "Thanks, Ray – you're doing Yeoman work, to be appreciated by SO many, come February." "Have been seriously enjoying your missives from London. You bring it alive and make me verrrry envious.  Keep ‘em comin’, and please, quit having so much fun!!" "Simply an outstanding over-view of this obvious great play.  I know you are proud to be a part of this." "I've enjoyed your dispatches from London. If we didn't have a mortgage and a kid in college, we'd jump on the next plane. Glad you are able to enjoy something that sounds so great. We will definitely aim to make the trip to New York when it is on Broadway." "What a wonderful writer you are." "I have enjoyed reading your blogs from London!  Don't stop!" "Wow!!!!!!! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You are so lucky to be apart of it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" "It was nice to hear about your trip. I have given the trip much thought and decided that I will 'sit this one out' as I have been to almost all of the places listed. The play I will look forward to seeing when it comes to the USA." "Sounds like you're having a ball." "Great reporting, Ray.  I'd love to sigh up but can't, of course. My wife is worse." "Sounds great. Hope to see it when it comes to the States." "I enjoyed reading your blog. Looks good  Wish I could go.  Sounds wonderful. I love England and remember my previous trips with fondness." "What a beautifully written blog - thank you for sending it." ""I'm looking forward to your posts, Ray."Enough self-promotion. There are many Facebook posts, though, and a final e-mail that came in after yesterday's blog is relevant to the musical and the story: "I very much enjoy your blog posts about your experiences in London and with the theatrical production in progress.  Something you wrote rings a bell: many young people today (as in the past) don't have the money to go to college. Some join the military as a means of supporting themselves and for the benefits. I know this first-hand because I volunteer at the Captain James A. Lovell Federal Healthcare Center in North Chicago. My German shepherd is a therapy dog. She and I visit the locked wards in the mental hospital as well as a domiciliary for homeless veterans. Many of these soldiers (some are women) suffer from PTSD, depression, and substance and alcohol abuse. No doubt they joined the military with high expectations, but the reality is not something they could foresee. Some of the younger soldiers don't even make it through boot camp. My conversations with these people [are] enlightening and also at times heartbreaking."
Which goes right along with the story in James Jones' novel, the restored uncensored version now available, and of From Here To Eternity - The Musical, and makes it all the more important for audiences, young and old.
But enough said for today. I just returned from the last rehearsal I'll attend. Tightening, tweaking, fine tuning. Brilliant work. Looking forward to tonight's show and the premiere on press night, Oct. 23.
Until next time, again, if you're a fan of good musicals, I'd still, run, not walk, to figure out a way to get to London to see this play. And I mean it more that ever this time. From Here To Eternity The Musical is going to be a smashing success, and I'm not just "blowing smoke." I'm confident that it'll make it to Broadway, but I don't know when. It's here in London now and do remember that I'm coming back with a tour Feb. 24-March 4. Not sure at this point how many spots are still available. Still time to sign up for the ACIS "Showtime" tour by Nov. 1 at http://www.acis.com/tripsite/?key=RFJjUDVxSFMzOHpYQnBPYWZaTT0%3D


See you later from London,
Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment